Friday 17 April 2015

Who am I?


Am I really who I am? Or am I just a portrayal of what people expect me to be?
Am I real? Or am I pretending to be what the society thinks is okay?
Am I the depiction of my true potential? Or am I only struggling to discover the many shades I have to offer?

Often, we are afraid to be our true selves. We might not be aware of it, or we might choose to overlook. But the fact remains …we are only trying to wear masks which make us socially acceptable, and to an extent likable. Because really, who doesn't want to be liked?

But what are we losing here?
We are losing everything we want to be. Everything we can be.
The question remains …is the trade off worth it?
While some may not care to find an answer, I questioned myself …am I trying to be someone different? Am I taking decisions that someone else expects of me? Is that making me happy?

I wanted the answers. I am still looking for a few. Because well, to think of it, I was timid to question myself in the past. But now that I know that an approval from the society is meaningless, I want to break free of the baseless expectations.

Why should anyone stop me from being me? Do they have any right? I don't think so. I'm only answerable to myself. As long as I'm convinced that the color is black, it is black. Let the people call it white.

I behaved how my mom told me to.
I studied how my teachers expected me to.
I talked how my friends wanted me to.
I expressed how society instructed me to.

And I didn't question any of it. I was not thinking then. But I'm thinking now. All I want is to be happy, and make others' eyes twinkle. For that, I need to be who I am.

I want to talk and dance and fight and cry and be alone. I want to go against what others think is right. I want to take a stand against everything that is wrong. In the meantime, it doesn't matter what others think of me.

Well, Who am I? I am trying to be me.
Who will I be? I will be me.
 

2 comments: