Wednesday 27 February 2013

Hachi!!

They are written about so much, that I don’t know what new do I have to add on to that list? But I want to write, not about them in general, but about the one I have. My Labrador.  My Hachi. Our Hachi.
I cannot know for sure, which moment made me the happiest, whether it was when I had him in my arms for the first time, made him sleep with me on that first night, or the first time he licked my face. It is hard to decide. And then I realize he makes me happy every single day. From that morning hug, to the afternoon nap, to the evening stroll, to the late night tantrums, he is everywhere. I’m not complaining.

Yes, a dog is a man’s best friend. And all that. But more than that, he is your teacher. You may think I am funny. I sound so stupid. But facts remain. Hachi has taught me a lot. Not only about myself, but about life at large.
He barks when we fight at home, showing his anger maybe. Wants us to stop and make peace. Thereby telling us if He can understand this, why can’t we? Human beings are expected to be more intelligent. Aren’t we?
He hides his face when he’s getting a scolding, tries to escape the things that make him unhappy. Ignore what gives you unhappiness is the lesson, I reckon.

I come back home, after a long tiring day, what is the least that he can do? Jump around and greet me with nasty licks everywhere. And he does this every single time we enter. Love your loved ones. Endlessly. Care about them in whatsoever way you can. The smallest of smallest gestures mean the most sometimes.
I can go on and on about how special he is. I’m not bragging. Really. Sometimes I feel he understands everything I say. And he does give me an occasional nod at times. It may mean nothing but it gives me a certain confidence to go ahead with things. I may sound like an obsessed dog lover, but well, that is me.

It feels forever that I have him around, but I still can’t get enough of him. I guess I never will. Mainly because he has so much to offer.  Every day is a new story, a sweet one. How I wish I could know how he feels, exactly what he thinks, maybe answer the many questions he has, or clear out his confusions. All that seems like a distant probability of course.
But for what it is worth, have one in your lives. And you will never regret it. Their innocence, their love, their warmth, and all the fun and laughter they bring along, cannot be compared to anything else. Nothing. It is an experience. You live through it.

Here’s to the good times I have had! Here’s to Hachi!

No comments:

Post a Comment