Wednesday 27 February 2013

When we say Goodbye …it won’t be for long!

Everyone has their favorite set of people; the people they like hanging out with, those they like talking to. Because they understand you just they way you want to be understood.  I also have one such set. And among the lot, there is this girl I am best friends with. For years now. Eighteen odd years actually (not taking into consideration the years when we didn’t talk because of a silly fight.)

So she was like this care taker I had when we were in school, right from tying my shoe laces, to helping me comb my hair, opening my Tiffin box, to helping me with the art classes. Man! She had this amazing art side to her; she probably still has; quite neglected though. Living together through all those years in kindergarten, school and high school, we never realized that we were actually building something strong, very strong.
I particularly remember the many years when she was my Valentine, until we grew old enough to have our respective boyfriends. We used to go for our own romantic walks on the 14th of Feb, and given the fact that I had a tom boyish look, she was still judged for hanging out so shamelessly with a guy. Haha!

And then there were those after school talks, long serious talks on the not so serious issues. But all that was a very big deal back then; who is talking to whom, who said what to the other, who really thinks great of herself, who has a crush on whom, and who is secretly dating? We used to plainly stand there … bitching about the bitches.
Years went by, a lot changed, our equation didn’t. It is still the same, almost. We didn’t lose out on the fun part, irrespective of how serious life has become. And why should we miss out on that crazy part? At least someone has to bring that into our lives, most of the times our friends do. I wont say what we have is a thing others cannot. They do. Maybe far better than us. But I am thankful that even I managed to. Yes.

A lot will change in the coming months. Complexities of life I tell you. But what remains is the fact that she has risen from a ‘diary entry’ in my first diary to a ‘blog post’ on my blog, in these years; making it clear that what a little First grade girl felt for her Bestie back then has only got deeper with time. And I don’t know what life has in store for the two of us, I am sure she will still call me up to discuss the politics at her workplace, and I will be seeking her help to stabilize my love life. She will still act as a counselor,  and that guiding light(Roshini) ! and obviously, our children will be best friends and boast about how their moms still manage to have that endless laughter on the stupidest of things!

When we say Goodbye, it wont be for long!

2 comments: