Tuesday 22 July 2014

I loved Rains!


I loved rains. Not anymore.

And frankly, never have I had time to think about this transition. But recently, it struck me. I live in Manipal … one of those beautiful places in India, known for the heavy rains. I have often noticed people take respite in the monsoons. The rains in Manipal are sudden and take you by surprise, almost every time. There is something about rains – everyone (except a few like me) eagerly wait for it, welcome it with such big smiles.

I, however, find it the dullest season. It is so soggy, so sluggish. You feel lazy. You are actively inactive. Your clothes won’t dry. You will be drenched every time you go out on a two-wheeler, without proper aid. There will be weird looking insects around. And to top that, those slimy worms. Ugh!
But then there are people who feel rains are lovely, associate it with the season of love …almost a synonym for “romance”. They find the cool breeze refreshing, and they won’t mind getting soaked in water, every once in a while. Personal choices.

I belonged to the latter set of people once upon a time. But it was so different then. No stupid phones to carry, no credit cards or expensive clutches! This saved on the “worry” part of getting soaked in rains. Further, there was no hurry to reach somewhere …to keep moving. This saved on the “have so many things to do” part. You had all the time in the world to just stand there and rejoice in the rains.

What happens when the muddy water is splashed across the very expensive footwear and clothes you are wearing (showing off)? You curse the person who did that evil thing to you! And later you curse the God damn season. The running around in flip flops, floaters and sneakers, splashing water from the puddles in the past was a totally different scene. Much cute, I must say. You did not care about your clothes, or anything else. All you wanted to do was freak out! Because hey!! Rains are here! :D

Driving in the rains? I shouldn’t start rattling about that. It is annoying. And most of us will agree to that. Facts no! The difference back then was you were picked up in cars, so you could afford to be all drenched, and yet there will be someone with a towel waiting to dry you, and take you home!
Clothes …dry or not? Were you even concerned about that? Not me. Now you know. When you wash clothes, and they don’t dry just when you thought you will wear that specific shirt to work tomorrow. It gets on to you. You curse the season again!

There was no limit to crazy energy levels in those days. Haha! I say “those days” as if that phase was some ten years ago or so. It was not. Trust me. Maybe three years. But it sure feels like a long time ago! Now when the energy ceases to exit, it is easier to blame the dull weather. Who doesn’t like the blame game?

And when you have to sit through boring lectures and ridiculous meetings … Where is room for romance? All those long drives become a thing of the past.

Is the list endless? I guess so. The stark comparisons? You cannot hold me responsible for not loving the rains anymore. I loved it for all the lovely things it brought with it – a hot cup of chaai with the best of people, mom’s garam pakodas, paper boats, water splashes, and long drives. I miss all of that undoubtedly. Those times can be recreated, every now and then. But I doubt if the love for rains will come back.



I loved rains. Once upon a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment